Apple is jumping on the wearable technology bandwagon finally. It will be interesting to see what Apple will bring to this fast-growing market. Tech-savvy consumers have already come to aware wearable technology, thanks to Fitbit, Sony, LG and Samsung who have invested a lot of resources on the first generation smart bands and watches.
We see the next generation of wearable technology to have several exciting characteristics:
(1) more use cases through additional sensors
(2) better interpretation of data captured from the user & the environment
(3) an open platform for 3rd party developers – eventually becoming a new ecosystem
(4) marketing opportunities for brands based on the new form of data captured
(5) new form factors (i.e. not just bands & watches)